When it comes to a list of top home appliances, water softeners secure a berth in the list hands down. Natural water is hard being loaded with minerals like magnesium and calcium and is unusable in daily life. It has to be softened to protect our skin and clothes by removing these two minerals from it. This is where a water softener comes to the rescue. The post below is a brief on water softeners.
How do they work?
Water softeners, as the name says, work by removing magnesium and calcium from water. The appliance is fixed into water system of a building and the device operates on the principle of ion exchange. So, what does it do? Well, the best water softener primarily replaces the mentioned minerals and then introduces sodium ions in water to make it soft, safe and usable.
Benefits of water softener
- Shinier and cleaner plumbing fixtures and any material that comes in contact with water
- Smooth hair and softer skin
- Less soap curd & less usage of soap which means more savings on your part.
- Softer clothes after every wash
- Long lasting water appliances like ice makers, coffee machines, water heaters, dishwashers as well as laundry equipments
Remember, water softeners generally last for 10-15 years. So, if your softener is a decade old, you must make sure to get it replaced with a new one. However, the lifespan of water softener also depends on its frequency of use and level of hardness in water. Thus, if the water in your home is comparatively harder and/or you have to use water softener pretty often, you may have to replace the appliance before a decade. Water softeners are a long-term investment. So, make sure to settle with a high quality water softener only.